"Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood."
Ralph Waldo Emerson


Monday, January 31, 2011

Bright Advice #15: Appreciate the small things.


Today while walking around campus, I managed to trip over my own feet, and drop my books on the floor. However, while others chuckled, this random person stopped what they were doing and helped me gather my things together. Honestly, I did not need the assistance, yet this kind gesture turned my day around.

The gestures you pose to others, whether it be a big favor or something just taking up seconds of your day, can change someone's day. Stop to hold the door, flash a smile at another, or simply just saying 'please' and 'thank you' are small things you can do to help brighten people's days. Some might think this as doing too much or not necessary, but think about it. What I mentioned takes little to no effort, yet helps create a better atmosphere around you - making you more warming and welcoming. We live in a society where things can't be achieved on your own, so learn to be open to others.

Try it. Go out and make someone's day. You might be surprised at what you'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment